[lsb-discuss] tux assistant idea

George Kraft gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Tue Feb 4 08:26:47 PST 2003

Currently, we have over a dozen LSB certified systems following the
FHS.  As we move forward trying to get the ISVs to certify, then they
will be following the FHS and registering themselves with LANANA.  I
believe we have adopted a good definition, and we have a good process
and plan for adoption.

George (gk4)

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 08:28, rahul at reno.cis.upenn.edu wrote:
> George,
>
> Truw enough, for third party packages.
>
> Thats not the point though.
>
> The user facing aspects of programs all install themselves into /usr/[bin/lib/etc] rather than /opt/packagename/[bin/lib/etc]. Culturally, this is a result of the mid-90's and the practises of RPM.
>
> Very few 3rd party programs find themselves installing into opt, but rather
> into usr. So an unfortunate orthodoxy has developed because of practises and the other parts of the document. Apple has done many innovative things in taking the old unix /opt and /pkg idea further, but none of this can be seen on Linux.
>
> There are two ways to look at this: should LSB even specify /opt and create another orthodoxy, which is the hands off way of looking at the problem..and secondly, should it be even specifying /usr as it does in section 4. The question there
> is should LSB be concerned with the interface of how libraries are made available to third party developers, or with the implementation (loader and ld.so.conf vs filesystem layout)
>
> I belong to the latter camp because I work with students and professors who
> work with desktop linux. And they are deserting in droves for the Mac OS-X.
> Cant really blame them, because our community has been to steeped in unix for
> too long, and where its created its own standards and practises (eg RPM), has
> departed from the nicer unix practises...

Max OS X has the potential to become LSB certified  :-)
http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/unix.html