[lsb-discuss] Inclusion of sendmail and patch

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Feb 5 09:24:31 PST 2003

Lee W wrote:
> After reading Matts post I am a little clearer as to why its included.  From
> my experience with other distros I know that a lot of them have scripts that
> depend on having sendmail-like program installed, which I can see could be
> enough of a reason to make it part of the standard.
>
> However as I said before, regardless of this fact as I understand it the
> majority of sendlike-programs (excluding the orignal sendmail) are required
> to run daemon processes (I have looked into postfix, qmail & exim and
> believe this is how them run) in order to deliver mail.

To make all programs happy, your sendmail replacement probably
has to do the following:

* let you send mail by running the program /usr/lib/sendmail
* let you send mail by connecting to localhost smtp port.
   This means you need a daemon of some sort.
   Not sure if LSB requires this, but some programs do expect it.
* reliably send mail even if the smarthost is down.  This
   means you either need a daemon or a crontab job to send
   queued messages.  (Sendmail uses a crontab job.)

You seem to have some fear of daemons.  Don't.  Normal desktop
machines have lots of 'em.  They're your friends.
- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com