[lsb-discuss] Some questions on the LSB build environment

George Kraft gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Tue Feb 11 14:05:07 PST 2003

> It wasn't one of mine either. The problem is that doesn't fit well with
> the LSB, which is to codify existing practices.

Packaging is an exception to the rule, because the current inconsistent
solutions cannot meet the growing demands (ie., dependency chain,
content management: package updates and roll backs).

The LSB had established a Least Common Denominator (LCD) taskforce to
describe what was common between RPM and DEB, and to establish a set of
requirements.

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/packaging/lcd/faq/

After the LCD phase, then the Unified Packaging taskforce was to add
enhancements to Linux packaging.

The final phase was to define a new dependency chain.

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/packaging/lcd/draft.txt

Recently at an LSB meeting in New York city, the workgroup had discussed
the possibility of defining a new XML packaging DTD.  This could reflect
the designs outlined in the above mentioned taskforces.

The current plan is to restart the packaging team by briefly reviewing
what had been done, re-outline the requirements and goals, then map out
a plan.  The first action item is to create a new email list called
packaging at freestandards.org; however, this will have to wait until the
end of the month because we are reorganizing the LSB and FSG servers.

George (gk4)