[lsb-discuss] Re: desktop linux standard base

adrian15 beatlesnap at go.to
Tue Jan 28 11:35:39 PST 2003

> Adrian,
>
> Thanks for your email. I've a few questions.
>
>  1 What is your interest/experience in usability?

Interest: I want to have an unified Linux environment/desktop as long as
unify Kde and Gnome. I want to make easier the current desktop adquiring
ideas from Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac and others.

One of the problem that Linux distributions have nowadays is that we can
configure a desktop to look alike Windows, or to look alike AfterStep,
or Gnome2, or... whatever desktop.

But the problem is the following one: In each distribution the ways you
configure how your desktop looks it's different. And usually are hidden
to normal users.

That means the all the efforts to look Linux more familiar to non
habitual Linux users are lost.

Experience: I haven't studied neither Desktop usability courses nor I've
worked in any software factory in order to make Desktop more usable.

But I've got a lot of ideas, most from my old windows, that I think
should be taken in account, the ideas are not only:
"Windows is better in this way, we should do it like them"
but "I couldn't do this with Windows, and I've seen that it's neither
implemented in Linux,... what do you think about this idea? Should we
implement it?"

(I don't remember of any idea right now. But I will do).

>  2 Are you offering support to make this proposed effort a reality?

If support means contributing with ideas, and criticing other people
proposals for good, yes.

>  3 Please provide the names of the people/groups that you feel
>    should be involved in this proposed effort

I don't know any people interested in usability. I think this
was the right place in order to talk about standards. Maybe
some people of the list may know some kde or gnome groups
specialized in Usability.

Anyone knows?

adrian15