[lsb-discuss] install_initd clobbers system init symlinks

Thorsten Kukuk kukuk at suse.de
Mon Jul 14 09:29:46 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, Bart Whiteley wrote:

> Then I would also have to also remove their symlinks
> that contain the upper-case letters.  This might cause their
> documentation to be invalid, and possibly jepardize the users
> support contract.  It could even break their product if the number
> on their original symlink was carefully chosen for some reason.

Again: You cannot chose a number for a symlink which works on every
distribution, because there is no way to make sure that this number
will really work on every distribution.  This number can become
wrong if you install an additional package or if you upgrade to the
next Distribution release. For this reason LSB does not specify
numbers.

And please, don't put me always in an extra CC, I'm subscribed on
this list.

  Thorsten

Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/        kukuk at suse.de
SuSE Linux AG        Deutschherrnstr. 15-19        D-90429 Nuernberg
Key fingerprint = A368 676B 5E1B 3E46 CFCE  2D97 F8FD 4E23 56C6 FB4B