[lsb-discuss] (no subject)

Chambraud, Guillaume guillaume.chambraud at eds.com
Mon Jun 2 02:47:30 PDT 2003

Hi all,

I would have a question/remark concerning the LSB compliant init scripts ...
I'm currently reading the 1.3 release but it seems to be the same for the
last 1.3.03031 release (by the way, I cannot find any ChangeLog ... where is
it ?)

Well, here (gLSB/iniscrptact.html) , man can read :
" ... or take the equivalent action if the init file is not a shell script."

I was wondering what could be the init file if it is not a shell script ?
Do you mean another script language like python, perl, php or whatever, or
is a ELF-executable allowed to become an init script ?

However, I don't think so ... because here (gLSB/gLSB/initscrcomconv.html)
comments conventions speak about "# " ... and I can't imagine such comments
in a ELF executable ...

Well, to be short, three questions:
- can an ELF executable be an init file ?
- are the comments mandatory ?
- is it LSB compliant not to use install_init, remove_initd or functions in
/lib/lsb/init-functions ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Guillaume