[lsb-discuss] Developing for LSB

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Tue Jun 3 00:51:43 PDT 2003

At 2003/6/3 17:34+1000  Tom Howard writes:

> From what I have been able to find, /etc/lsb-release or /bin/lsb_release can
> be used to determine if a given platform is LSB compliant and which version
> it is compliant with.  How stable is the format of this information intended
> to be?

You should use the lsb_release program. We will keep the output format
of this program stable.

> I guess my real question is what is the best way for a program to determine
> the LSB version of the platform it is running on?

I think using lsb_release is the best way.

> Just an another quick question.  SuSE 8.2 is listed as being LSB 1.3
> compliant, yet /etc/lsb-release and /bin/lsb_release report 1.2 compliance.
> I have reported it to them as a bug (please let me know if it isn't), but
> shouldn't the certification tests pick this sort of thing up?

We have a lot of work to do on increasing the coverage of the test
suites. A commands and utilities test suite will most likely be ready
for LSB 2.0 and that could cover lsb_release.

Regards,

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group