[lsb-discuss] Re: Standarized Menu System / Hierachy

Havoc Pennington rhp at zirx.pair.com
Sun Jun 8 09:20:35 PDT 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Svyatogor wrote:

> On the other hand, I feel that it is extremely important to agree upon a
> certain standrat for the menu system (a lot of work has already been done,
> but there is no standart yet) and also for the system of translation of a
> system wide to WM-specific menu.

There is however a draft standard, please see:
 http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu/draft/menu-spec/menu-spec.html

As I said, this is already mostly implemented for KDE and GNOME, and
desktop-menu-tool supports outputting to other formats. Currently it
supports the old KDE/GNOME format, and I have a patch from Matthew Miller
for WindowMaker. The spec was developed with developers from KDE, GNOME,
and WINE participating. (And Waldo and I happen to work for SuSE and Red
Hat as well, so presumably gave it some thought from that angle.)

Please post comments/questions on this proposed spec to
xdg-list at freedesktop.org;  you can find all previous discussion in the
list archives. list and anoncvs info:
http://www.freedesktop.org/about/involved.html

In CVS, check out the "desktop-file-utils" module for some code in
progress, "desktop-menu" for a very lame start on a test suite,
and the spec itself is in web/content/standards/menu.

Once the KDE/GNOME/Red Hat/SuSE with this spec implemented are shipped,
everyone is going to be reluctant to change in backward-incompatible ways,
which means there is much value to posting comments sooner rather than
later.

Havoc