[lsb-discuss] Re: Re: Standarized Menu System / Hierachy

Havoc Pennington rhp at zirx.pair.com
Sun Jun 8 12:20:19 PDT 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 sysop at heinospage.de wrote:
> Havoc Pennington <rhp at zirx.pair.com> schrieb am 08.06.2003, 18:24:28:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Keep in mind also, for this to work in practice and keep working over
> > time, the test suite is essential. It would be really good if
> > we could find a volunteer to work on that.
> So what should this test suite exactly do?

The module "desktop-menu" in freedesktop.org CVS is about the right idea.
What it should do is take a particular .menu file and collection of
.desktop files, process those into a menu using a pluggable implementation
of the spec, and then validate that the implementation generated the
correct menu.

The idea is to detect cases where the same menu files and .desktop files
produce different results for different implementations, so we can
correct/clarify the issues that make implementations incompatible.