[lsb-discuss] Developing for LSB

Tom Howard tomhoward at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 12 15:23:09 PDT 2003

On Friday 06 June 2003 15:19, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> Give me a few days and I'll put together some suggested wording.

I decided to give it a go.  So let me know what you think of the following to
go in the lsb_release section.

    -a, --all

    displays all of the above information.
    -s, --short

-   displays all of the above information in short output format.
+  displays the information in a short format designed to be easily parsable
+  by programs.  The information should be output on a single line using a
+  single space as a separator between the different information.  The
+  distribution description may contain spaces, so it must be enclosed in
+  double quotes.  The order of the information displayed is independent of
+  the order of the options and should be version, id, description, release,
+  codename.  Programs that call lsb_release should always use the -s/--short
+  option as no guarantees are made about the long formatting.  Neither should
+  they use the -a/--all option as no guarantees are made that more field will
+  not be added in the future or the order in which the new fields will be
+  outputted.
    -h, --help

    displays a human-readable help message.

If you reckon the above is alright, let me know and I'll lodge the bug (or
should if be a feature request?).

Cheers,

--
Tom Howard