[lsb-discuss] Re: REVIEW: System Initialization

Tobias Burnus tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 16 03:29:25 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Mark Hatle wrote:
> language that says the return codes are undefined for manual signals.
Well, I actually prefer to know after a killproc $PROG -USR1 to know
whether the program was actually running or not. Therefore the "3" or "7"
exit code is not that bad.

[PID files]
> My immediate assumption is all.. and the format that I am using is white
> space deliminated on a single line.
An alternative format would be "\n" delimited. (Both are by default set as
IFS (internal field separator).) But I'm fine with spaces.

> > Should start_daemon ever write the PID into the file? Debian's
> > start-stop-daemon does this, for instance, only when --make-pidfile is
> So this is a good question, should start_daemon be populating PID files?
>   My immediate answer is yes it should be, if the user doesn't want that
> behavior they should manually launch their app and manage their pidfile.
>   But I havn't checked any other distributions to see if that is happening.
My immediate answer is no, it shouldn't. Usually one can expect from the
application that it should write the PID themself. Especially if a program
forks, it is more cumbersome for start_daemon than for the program itself.

For programs that don't automatically background themself, it makes sense,
though.

Tobias