[lsb-discuss] Binary relocatability

rahul at reno.cis.upenn.edu rahul at reno.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 6 13:00:08 PST 2003

Mike,
Thanks for bringing up this problem.
If one were to take something from the appdirs discussion some weeks back,
it would be the lack of such support on linux, etc.

I believe Darwin does it by building the library loading scheme to be relative to
the top level app dir.

For most linux it might suffice to have thee executable in /prefix/bin look into
/prefix/lib for the library first, then whats specified in ld.so.conf. OSX does
appdir/current where current lis a link to version number so one can have
multiple major and minor number based library versions in the same appdir, or for that matter, /usr/lib.

Rahul