[lsb-discuss] killproc init script function

Mark Hatle fray at mvista.com
Tue May 27 10:10:37 PDT 2003

I'm curious as to how killproc is expected to work with the pid file.
Specifically, I would assume that if killproc is called w/o a signal argument
that it goes through it's SIGTERM, then SIGKILL and then rm's the basename.pid
file.  What should happen in a killproc where a signal is passed by the user?
Send the signal and "trim" the pid file removing dead entries?  or just leave it
as is, and force the init script proper to rm the basename.pid?

(Also on a side note, is there a list anywhere of what a valid pid file should
be formated as, I may have just missed it if it is defined, but right now I am
under the assumption it is a single line with pids seperated by whitespace.  Any
subsequent lines are ignored.)

Thanks,
Mark