[lsb-discuss] PROPOSAL: /opt/<provider>/<package>/]

George Kraft gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Tue May 27 15:44:25 PDT 2003

The FHS v2.2 section 3.12 reads, add-on application software packages go
in /opt/<package>/.  Where <package> would be a "lsb-application_name"
or "lsb-provider-application_name" LANANA registered name resulting is
something like "/opt/lsb-bricks/" or "/opt/lsb-acme-bricks/" .

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.12.html

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/pkgnameconv.html

The notion of /opt/<provider>/<package>/ (e.g., /opt/acme/lsb-bricks/)
was suggested in a comment to the Linux Journal, November 2000, issue 79
article entitled "Where to Install My Products on Linux?".  In addition,
it appears this nomenclature was assumed by some of the LSB workgroup
members.

It is proposed that in addition to the /opt/<package>/ specified by the
FHS and LSB, that we officially add /opt/<provider>/<package>/.  This
would allow possible large collection of applications by certain
providers to be organized under their reserved /opt/ subdirectory.

Suggested actions.

1) Adoption by the FHS workgroup and inclusion in FHS v2.3
2) Adoption by the LSB workgroup and inclusion in the LSB v1.3 errata,
   and LSB v1.9.
3) Adoption by the LANANA workgroup and extension of the registered
   provider name to include /opt/ subdirectories.

George (gk4)