[lsb-discuss] Re: PROPOSAL: /opt/<provider>/<package>/]

Bart Whiteley bwhiteley at novell.com
Fri May 30 08:27:59 PDT 2003

On Friday 30 May 2003 04:05 am, Gerhard Muntingh wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 11:51:24AM -0600, Bart Whiteley wrote:
> > Also, I would prefer that configuration data be allowed to
> > does not necessarily correspond to a "package".  Similar
> > arguments apply here.  Perhaps there are some configuration
> > files that are used by a lot of "packages".
>
> Why not a configuration package?

Perhaps, but this doesn't change the argument
in favor of /opt/<provider>/lib.

> > This fourth rule covers init and cron scripts, as well as other
> > things not currently covered in the specification (like
> > /etc/logrotate.d/<provider>-*).
>
> I think logrotate should be patched to use /etc/opt/logrotate.d/ also
> if it exists.  And ofcourse the same for cron and init.

This is fine and well, but we have to solidify our internal
standards next week.  Any changes to cron, init, and logrotate
won't be available on a LSB platform for years.

Maybe it would be helpful if someone would explain to me
why /opt/<provider>/<package> is superior to
/opt/<provider>/<what ever the provider feels is appropriate>.

As long as things are under /opt/<provider>, namespace collisions
are avoided.  What more does /opt/<provider>/<package> buy?

--
Bart Whiteley <bwhiteley at novell.com>
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of information solutions