[lsb-discuss] Qt libs ... included in the kernel 2.6 ... Why still blocked?

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Fri Nov 7 07:55:09 PST 2003

Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 15:01, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:
>

>>Nils O. Selsdal wrote:

>>>Perhaps not. I'm not very fond of having to many options here either.
>>>There should be _one_ desktop environment/development framework.
>>>However if that one choice is a choice of GPL or pay Trolltech,
>>>

>>Why you suppose we or someone else need to pay TrollTech?
>>

>That is the fact.
>Qt is licensed under the GPL. If you want to make an application
>using(linking to) Qt, you HAVE to make that application available under
>the GPL.The GPL demands that. Not everyone want to make their
>application GPL/OpenSource. Certanly not many companies will.

I understand now. So, you said, Trolltech must offer the library in a way
such that people may release free or not-free software without to pay them.

Right?

If this is the point it is interesting. So, you want that their their
job, just for free ...

>The other option, if you do not want to GPL your application
>but still use Qt, is to BUY a license from Qt. Read the Trolltech site
>on licensing info and what it costs.

Interesting ...

What you propose?

I am CC to lsb-discuss for comments.