[lsb-discuss] Distribution identification

Michal Svec msvec at suse.cz
Fri Nov 14 04:04:56 PST 2003

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> At 2003/11/13 23:10+0100  Michal Svec writes:
> > It would be nice if there could be a single way for this stuff.
> > It could be in, let's say, /etc/linux-release or even more
> > general in /etc/distribution, /etc/release, /etc/product or
> > /etc/identification or like that.
> >
> > It should be script-parsable, for example something like this:
> >
> >     VENDOR="SUSE"
> >     PRODUCT="SUSE Linux"
> >     RELEASE="9.0"
> >     VERSION="SP3"
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> We already have lsb_release which is included as part of an LSB
> compliant system:
>
> http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/LSB_1.3.0/gLSB/gLSB/lsbrelease.html

Hmm, the lsb_release is a utility to get this info, while it still may be
nice to have this in some system-wide file.

And I'd guess the "lsb_release" to show a version of the LSB, unrelated to
other stuff, like the product name. Wouldn't be better to specify a more
general and obvious name?

Regards
Michal
--