[lsb-discuss] Distribution identification

Buick Sk buick at openslackware.org
Tue Nov 18 15:21:10 PST 2003

Hi,

> Currently, each distribution uses its own way for identification
> and release specification:
>
>     /etc/SuSE-release
>     /etc/redhat-release
>     /etc/debian_version

I think, this identification only important for users development or
distribution company...

The must information add into /etc/lsb-release and I not link others variables
or others archives..  Slackware use only /etc/slackware-version and this only
and simple information important for development or administration... others
information only need capture into /proc or running dmesg... but LSB need 2
archives...(lsb-release and "$distributor ID"-release)

----
# cat /etc/lsb-release
LSB_VERSION="1.3"
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Slackware 8.1 - June 2002"
-----
# cat /etc/slackware-release
Slackware release 8.1 (Midas)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
# lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    1.3
Distributor ID: Slackware
Release:        8.1
Codename:       Midas
-----

Codename is  Vaporware, and not important for running... Must important
"dmesg | head -1"  >:)

>     VENDOR="SUSE"
>     PRODUCT="SUSE Linux"
>     RELEASE="9.0"
>     VERSION="SP3"
  Service Pack??? Healy?? Ugh.. I remember other OS system :^)

Buick Sk

---
GUS-BR - Group Users Slackware - Brazil
http://www.slackwarebrasil.org/