[lsb-discuss] running multiple distros (LSB-internal use)

Bart Whiteley bwhiteley at novell.com
Wed Nov 19 12:12:29 PST 2003

Here's what I do:

1. Install onto a test or staging machine
2. Reboot test machine into a different partition from the one
   just installed, or to a knoppix CD or something.
3. mount the partition containing the distro just installed.
4. rsync the whole partition (rsync -e ssh -az ...) to a directory
   on the file server.

Note that you have to be root on both sides of the rsync to get the
files read/created properly.

This way you don't have to take down or reboot the
"lsb build machines", you just have to have another box
around that you can have your way with, then rsync the
installed distro to the "lsb build machines."

You might be able to skip steps 2 and 3 and just rsync the running
system, but that always made me a little nervous.  Knoppix solves
the problem quite well.