[lsb-discuss] running multiple distros (LSB-internal use)
darrint at progeny.com
Wed Nov 19 13:11:35 PST 2003
Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> Does anyone have advice on good ways to
> set this kind of thing up for rpm-distros
> in general, or for any specific distros?
I have done this with RH 8. (Should work universally.) I did the two
partition trick described earlier and did a minimal install to one
partition, then did a filesystem backup of that partition. (a tarball
might have been just fine.)
Here's how to set up a nice flexible system:
* Intall Linux into two different partitions. One partition will be the
one you use, the other will be kept mostly pristine. Keep the pristine
* Boot into the pristine partition.
* Install apt into the pristine partition. Configure it to use your
* Boot into the usable partition.
* Use tar or some other backup mechanism to capture the pristine
partition into a single file.
Now you can quickly extract the backup into an abitrary directory,
chroot into it, and apt-get needed packages quickly.
More information about the lsb-discuss