[lsb-discuss] LSB 2.0 and NPTL

Martin Michlmayr tbm at cyrius.com
Tue Oct 7 09:03:07 PDT 2003

* George Kraft <gk4 at austin.ibm.com> [2003-09-03 13:31]:
> > You say "We will need to fix..." Does that mean you intend to
> > insist on NPTL?
>
> Insist on "POSIX Threads" as described in SUSv3 which is implemented
> by NPTL.  NPTL should not be directly referenced.

But if I understand your message correctly, what you're essentialy
saying is that a LinuxThreads based Linux system won't be able to get
LSB 2.0 certified.  I think (indirectly) requiring NPTL is very
premature, given that the stock kernel doesn't work with it.  While
some distribution vendors backport NPTL support to Linux 2.4, I don't
think you can require vendors to make such a significant change to
their kernel (or to use the unreleased 2.6).  Perhaps this issue can
be added to the agenda of conference call tomorrow.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm at cyrius.com