[lsb-discuss] gLSB: sysinit: clearify algorithm for determining status of programs

Tobias Burnus tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 3 14:38:35 PDT 2003

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 05:19:10PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Tobias Burnus (tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de) said:
> > If there is no pidfile no further checks shall be done.
This is ment for the pidofproc script as defined in
/lib/lsb/init-functions.

> > If a script really has no pidfile then it can use pidof (part of LSB) or
> > pkill/pgrep (not part of LSB).
This is ment for those /etc/init.d/* init scripts that need it.

> Maybe I missed part of your discussion, but how do you
> programmatically determine this case; do you just specifying
> this when calling pidofproc?

I mean that if /opt/foo/sbin/mydaemon has no pidfile, then I can do this
in the init script /etc/init.d/foo-mydaemon:

status)
      # I know there is no pid file and thus I cannot use pidofproc
      # let's use pidof instead
      pidof -o $$ -o $PPID -o %PPID /opt/foo/sbin/mydaemon
;;

Tobias