[lsb-discuss] PROPOSAL: requiring applications to be provided in RPM packaging format

George Kraft gk4 at austin.ibm.com
Mon Sep 22 11:46:31 PDT 2003

The LSB v1.9 currently says that "applications must be provided in the
RPM packaging format as defined in this specification."

http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/gLSB/gLSB/swinstall.html

Ideally we wish there were a newer better install for Linux; however, for
now many struggle with the LSB's RPM packaging format requirement.  We had
talked about allowing cpio and tar, but there are difficulties meeting the
"requires lsb" requirement.  Also, we are running out of time to make
significant changes to LSB v2.0.

Instead of compromising on our specification, perhaps we can be inventive
with the FSG product standards.  I propose we leave the LSB "as is" for now,
but entertain the idea of "Requires LSB Runtime Environment".  This would
allow any kind of install mechanism as long as is "requires lsb".

http://www.linuxbase.org/~gk4/requires-lsb-proposal.html

--
George (gk4)