[lsb-discuss] Re: [Lsb-specauth] [Patch] Remove all depreciated parts from gLSB's command section

Tobias Burnus tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 22 13:09:46 PDT 2003

Hi

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:24:08PM -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:
> > this patch removes all sections marked as depreciated in the gLSB 1.3,
> I've looked this over and my comments are in the agenda for
> Wednesday's specauth meeting (
> http://www.linuxbase.org/talks/sa20030924.html ).
>
> We may need some people to look at the "chown user.group" removal more
> closely.
In the current version of the patch I left the chown user.group in.
It makes sense to remove it _after_ it was deprecated in
one approved/released gLSB standard.

> (and even with deprecating first, have script writers really
> switched over to the user:group syntax?).
Probably not - and as always the will not do so until something breaks;
tail -4 (instead of tail -n 4) is deprecated in SUSv2, chown with '.' is
a GNU extension, nevertheless they florish.

This change is kind of forced when /usr/include/unistd.h
defines _POSIX2_VERSION=200112. This is the case with newer GLIBCs.
The reason is that the GNU coreutils include unistd.h and change their
behaviour based on _POSIX2_VERSION (this behaviour can be changed using
an environment variable).
See for instance
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2003/debian-glibc-200308/msg00120.html
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2003/debian-glibc-200308/msg00127.html
  http://www.gnu.org/manual/diffutils-2.8/html_node/diff_97.html

The distributions are currently reluctant to force this behaviour:
SuSE 9.0 used _POSIX2_VERSION=199209 in /usr/include/unistd.h and
Debian/unstable's coreutils package overrides _POSIX2_VERSION to
default to the old behaviour. (I don't know when they plan to do the
transition, but currently some of their scripts would break.)

But at some point one or the other distribution will enforce POSIX
1003.1-2001 for their coreutils.

When the LSB requires the '.' then they cannot use SUSv3, when the
shall not support the '.' (= full SUSv3) then they are forced to use the
SUSv3. (Probably I see problem were are none.)

For tail -3 etc. it is easier: An extra option doesn't hurd and the -3
has been marked as deprecated in SUSv2.

http://www.linuxbase.org/talks/sa20030924.html:
> In chmod, chgrp, chown, and sleep, need to get rid of synopsis which no
> longer makes sense.
There are other command manpages which can be removed; their purpose has
been obsolated by the removal of --help and --version: nl, nohup, paste,
pathchk, printf, and pwd.

Tobias