[lsb-discuss] RE: [Device_naming] Re: List created to discuss device naming

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Apr 5 15:10:52 PDT 2004

> > Then perhaps it would care to join in ?
>
> I didn't see this until today since I've been moving, and since noone
> bothered sending it to either myself and John Cagle or
> <device at lanana.org> directly.

Sorry, it was on my todo list, but that list had 30+ high
priority items that had to be complete by last Friday so
I didn't get to it - sadly, most of the items are still on
the list :-(.  I was intending to send a notice to
the FHS list as well.  So to make up for that:

A number of people think that getting persistent device
naming consistent across implementations is important
enough that they'd like to get together and try to achieve
common ground between those producing Linux implementations
using the 2.6 kernel.

Having a common device naming policy has benefits for
administrative utilities, volume management, desktop
users with hot-pluggable devices, and more.

If you consider yourself a stakeholder in this, please
join the list device_naming at lists.osdl.org at: