[lsb-discuss] User Installable Software FHS

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Apr 7 18:23:21 PDT 2004

New to list, I'm sure this topic has been discussed before.
I've put together a small article discussing the issue of standard users
being able to install software on the system that is available for all
users, without having to be root to do so.

This I think is critical for acceptance of LOTD but also has benefits in
other areas too.

The article is at http://mpeters.us/linux/software.php

I am seeking comments on it.

Since this would (i think) require at least a small modification to how
rpm works, I'm CCing the rpm list as well.

So tear it apart and call it stupid, or recommend changes, or whatever.
Thanks.

--
Cheap Linux CD's - http://mpeters.us/linux/