[lsb-discuss] /usr/bin/env bash

Mark Hatle mhatle at mvista.com
Tue Aug 17 10:27:07 PDT 2004

Ignoring the Unix specification issues...

We use "#! /usr/bin/env bash" extensivly in our products.  Why?  because
we have absolutly no idea where on the system the user has installed bash.

By using /usr/bin/env bash, we ensure that bash is run based on the
users environment and not some hard coded (somewhat arbitrary location).
  Same could be said for /bin/sh.

(while not speaking of the LSB.. on things like Solaris and other Unix
(and Unix like) systems we support, /bin/sh is often barely usable as a
shell.. which is the primary reason we use the /usr/bin/env bash
trick... (after of course we have provided a bash to the environment...
or at least verified there is one available.)

--Mark