[lsb-discuss] Creating an XML/SGML LSB Component/ Freestandards Workgroup

Mark Johnson mrj at debian.org
Thu Aug 19 10:35:18 PDT 2004

Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> Mark Johnson <mrj at debian.org> writes:
>

>>According to the FSG doc on forming LSB (and hence FSG) workgroups:
>
> Umm... where do we say that's the document on forming "LSB workgroups"?
>
> (There's no such thing as an LSB workgroup.  We have "workgroups" and
> workgroups may have "subgroups" or "sub-projects".)

OK, so I'm a little confused as to the hierarchy of WG
establishment. Sorry:)

>>http://members.freestandards.org/policy/fsg102-newworkgroup-draft.txt
>
> That's for new (top-level) workgroups.  You have said "LSB" so I assume
> you want your workgroup to be part of the LSB.

Precisely. I'm sorry for not being clear on that point. The WG I'm
proposing would be a part of LSB, and hence would its deliverables also.

> I can't speak for the rest of the board, but you are very likely to be
> asked: why isn't this part of the LSB???  If the C++ component can be
> developed inside the LSB workgroup, why can't XML/SGML?

I totally agree. But I do believe there then needs to be a separate
subgroup to address the issues. XML (and its many related specs) is
really a moving target and the general LSB WG membership may not
have the expertise/experience to produce an XML/SGML module for LSB
in a timely manner.

>>P.S. FWIW, I bought the lsb-xml.org and lsb-xml-sgml.org domains, as
>>well.
>
> Okay, we'll want to figure that out as we go forward (or even if we
> don't, LSB is a trademark of the Free Standards Group).  How we add new
> domains for workgroups is up to Jim and our IT committee, though.

Sure, makes sense. I was simply trying to point out that I'm
"getting all my ducks in a row", so to speak.

Cheers,
Mark

> Daniel

Mark Johnson      <mrj at debian.org>
Debian XML/SGML:  <http://debian-xml-sgml.alioth.debian.org>
Home Page:        <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242