[lsb-discuss] Re: New uname option to query exact OS distribution

Nick Stoughton nick at usenix.org
Mon Aug 23 11:04:29 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 07:46, Bruce Korb wrote:

> Linux-isms do not belong in POSIX.  LSB is the venue for the issue.
>
> Regards, Bruce

Agreed, and in the LSB, we have (as has been pointed out) lsb_release
that gives all this stuff.

> lsb_release -a
> LSB Version:    1.3
> Distributor ID: RedHat
> Release:        9
> Codename:       Shrike

This is not a venue for invention ... widespread existing practice is
what goes into the standard. If a large number of implementations (say,
those based on some Open Source kernel and library) had uname -d
behaving as you describe, it would be appropriate for the standards
committees to consider it for inclusion. But WE DON"T INVENT STUFF HERE
(sorry for shouting, but it is a critical point!).

(OK, the LSB invented lsb_release, but they also supplied it to all the
vendors)
--
Nick Stoughton      USENIX/FSG Standards Liaison
nick at usenix.org     (510) 388 1413