[lsb-discuss] Re: New uname option to query exact OS distribution

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 24 06:25:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 21:24 +0200, Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I am not agree to introduce another command, like lsb_release -a.
>
>     uname is sufficient.
>
>     Changing actual -d with the OS release name: FTOSX, RedHat, will solve
>     the matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Giovanni

I think the point was that there already *is* a command named lsb-
release (try it- it's there in Fedora 2 at least).

I for one don't see any reason to add a 'uname -d' if lsb-release is
already specified. I imagine that it's easier for utilities to check for
the existence of the lsb-release executable than it is to check for
uname's support of a -d flag.