[lsb-discuss] Shebang definition

Michael T Kerrisk mtk-lists at gmx.net
Thu Feb 19 04:08:43 PST 2004

[Sorry Tobias, first reply didn't include the list]

> Hello,
>
> I wonder where the '#!' shebang is defined. I thought it is part of
> SUSv3, but it doesn't seem to be required (see 'environ, execl, execv,
> execle, execve, execlp, execvp - execute a file' and 'sh - shell,
> the standard command language interpreter'.
> In the latter one finds 'Furthermore, on systems that support executable
> scripts (the "#!" construct)[...]', this hints that it is common but not
> required [cf. the section 'Historically there have been two ways that
> implementations can exec shell scripts.' in 'environ, execl ...'].

Exactly -- SUSv3 does not specify hash-shriek.  An interesting page
on the topic of #! is at:

#! - the Unix truth as far as I know it.
Andries Brouwer
http://www.cwi.nl/~aeb/std/hashexclam.html

> Shouldn't therefore the LSB define/require the support of the shebang?

Perhaps tricky -- given the variations noted on the page above,
what is the correct behaviour to standardize on?

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk