[lsb-discuss] lsb

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola rafael.espindola at ic.unicamp.br
Thu Nov 11 11:58:17 PST 2004

We intend to use the init script scheme describe in chapter 13 of the lsb to
create a general system that could be used for both system init and
LSB-complaint applications.

We think that a small addition must be made to make it possible: a "Conflict:"
entry.

In some cases (the "reboot" service for example) it is necessary that a
service be run only if some other service is not running. Declaring a
conflict solves the problem.

There is also some doubts:

1) When looking for the dependency of a service should we
look for it in all files in /etc/init.d or only in those file that have a
Default-start with the present runlevel?
We think the latter is a better option because it makes it simple for the
administrator to disable some services. For example, if service A has a
Should-Start with service B it is possible to avoid the startup of service B
by removing entries from its Default-Start. If the lookup is done on all
services then this doesn't work.

2) Is it true that a service is started or stop at most once per runlevel?

Thanks,
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri,
Rafael Ávila de Espíndola,
Renato Machado de Sousa