[lsb-discuss] lsb

Tobias Burnus tobias.burnus at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Nov 11 14:48:05 PST 2004

Hello,

Rafael Ávila de Espíndola wrote:

>We think that a small addition must be made to make it possible: a "Conflict:"
>entry.

Sounds sensible. This way one could make sure that conflicting processes
are not started.

>In some cases (the "reboot" service for example) it is necessary that a
>service be run only if some other service is not running. Declaring a
>conflict solves the problem.

Well, it principle it already works: You require that 'A' depends on
[re]'boot' then
A is stopped before boot.

>1) When looking for the dependency of a service should we
>look for it in all files in /etc/init.d or only in those file that have a
>Default-start with the present runlevel?

Well, if you use rc.d/* then you should look there and not automatically
enable other services. No services should automatically enabled.

>2) Is it true that a service is started or stop at most once per runlevel?

Well, normally yes, but a user may start it more than once.

Tobias