[lsb-discuss] I suppose is a bug. Pentium4 architecture not full supported ...

Dr. Giovanni A. Orlando gorlando at futuretg.com
Mon Sep 13 09:14:24 PDT 2004

Hi,

    Implementing a new feature on our OS, I get a bug abouty the command
"arch",
    and at the same time: "rpm". But the real trouble is inside glib.h

    In fact, On a Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Pentium III and Pentium 4,
you will get
    the "arch" output equals to "i686".

    While I can accept Pentium Pro/II/III, for "i686" I cannot accept
the Pentium 4.

    If you go to the Kernel, the tag i686 regards The Pentium Pro, and
not the Pentium 4.

    This bug, involves different programs and tools.

    * rpm

          In fact, rpm must compile files like the Kernel, for Pentium4
architecture, in the directory:
           /usr/src/ftosx/RPMS/ipentium4

          Also the gcc must be clear to support this platform like
'ipentium4' and not 'i686'.

    *     The program, "arch" must print pentium4 (better 'ipentium4) to
      clarify these architecture.

               But,the "arch" program simply uses the "perror" function
to print the uname entry, that resides
                in glib.h

               But this is wrong.

    We are correcting this issue for 'rpm' package, releasing a kernel
that real support the Pentium4, "kernel-XXX-ipentium4.rpm".

    About the "arch" (util-linux, under GNU/Linux) we will need the
involment of the relative groups.

Thanks,
Giovanni

Check FT Websites ...