[lsb-discuss] /usr/sbin/sendmail -bs flag in LSB

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Mon Sep 27 19:10:55 PDT 2004

Recently Debian ran into an issue with nullmailer[1] not providing a
-bs flag, while providing /usr/{sbin,lib}/sendmail.

Unfortunatly, for nullmailer, and to a similar degree, ssmtp, -bs
doesn't have any real meaning for an MTA that is only an MTA, not an
MDA.

While searching the archives of lsb-spec, I didn't see any discussion
of the reasons behind including the -bs option in the LSB
specification, as it appears to have sprung up from merely culling the
exim, sendmail, qmail, and ssmtp options.[2]

Does anything extant actually use the -bs option to
/usr/sbin/sendmail?

If so, shouldn't they really be checking the exit code rather than the
likely useless SMTP responses?

Don Armstrong

[NB: Please obey MFT if you wish to respond to me, as I am not
subscribed to this list.]

1: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=271662
2: http://lists.debian.org/lsb-spec/1999/11/msg00028.html
--
[Panama, 1989. The U.S. government called it "Operation Just Cause".]
I think they misspelled this. Shouldn't it be "Operation Just 'Cause"?

http://www.donarmstrong.com                     http://rzlab.ucr.edu