[lsb-discuss] standardized C++ apps?

Karl Pietrzak kap4020 at rit.edu
Sun Jul 31 11:55:43 PDT 2005

On Saturday 30 July 2005 23:01, you wrote:
> While I think a number of these issues
> could be removed by building a standard calling
> mechanism, I don't see how we can overcome the
> tweaking of code by vendors to make their distro more
> desirable. I think trying to approach this obstacle
> would most likely lead to religious conflict. Lastly,
> the problem with a standard is that it can be rapidly
> outdated when you get to a certain level of atomicity.
> Not to mention the shere magnitude of the proposed
> standarization.

I don't think the problem is unsolvable.  This is where the LSB is supposed to
come in.  Vendors will be able to tweak GCC has much as want as long as it
still produces "LSB" executables.  If something like this will likely lead to
religion conflict and shouldn't be attempted, well then what's the point of
the LSB at all?