[lsb-discuss] Sun's support for Linux

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Tue Nov 22 18:19:12 PST 2005

Hi lsb-discuss,

I found these links about a Sun press release mentioning support for
running Red Hat binaries on Solaris,

http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-11/sunflash.20051117.1.html
http://www.techworld.com/opsys/features/index.cfm?featureid=1989

At first I wondered, 'why Red Hat and not LSB?' thinking they had
re-implemented Red Hat's ABIs. But this talk of 'containers' indicates that
they're running a full copy of Red Hat in a virtualization environment. If
that's the case why not other (potentially LSB) distros? Is this just a
market driven thing?

It would be nice if Sun comments were in support of the LSB ABIs rather
than explictly calling out Red Hat's ABIs. While they are sometimes
different they are supposed to be same most of the time (at least in
theory).

Any Sun people on the list want to comment?

Thanks,

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard