[lsb-discuss] file system detection

Robert Schweikert Robert.Schweikert at abaqus.com
Tue Aug 1 12:34:08 PDT 2006

In follow up to my earlier e-mail today I poked around at it appears
that POSIX does not supply a way for one to figure out the underlying
file system. In some weird way this makes sense since POSIX does not
specify how a compliant system deals with files. However, on Linux and
all other UNIX systems there is a way.

All other Unix systems we support (IRIX, HPUX, AIX) deviate from POSIX
and add an  f_basetype member to the statvfs struct while Linux adheres
to the POSIX definition for statvfs and the information about the file
system type is pushed into the statfs structure, which was derived from
BSD.

For us this means that we need the statfs() interface in the LSB, we
have to know reliably whether or not a file resides on an NFS mounted
file system or not and this appears to be the only way to get this
information.

Comments?

Thanks,
Robert
--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(Robert.Schweikert at abaqus.com)                 LINUX