[lsb-discuss] New Interfaces for 3.2/4.0

Andrew Josey ajosey at rdg.opengroup.org
Wed Aug 2 09:42:28 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 09:20 -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> Right.  The context I was trying to put this in was these
> are options for POSIX; the thought is making them non-optional
> (but smaller systems could still use the subprofiles
> mechanism to exclude them).  For LSB-core, the interfaces in
> question are already mandatory, so any POSIX change would
> have no impact.

When you say POSIX you mean POSIX.1 (IEEE Std 1003.1) which is for
multipurpose systems. The POSIX.13 (IEEE Std 1003.13) PSE 51 and PSE52
profiles are subprofiles of 1003.1 which do not require MMU support.
Together with POSIX.13 PSE53 they provide embedded subsets of POSIX.1.

Something being mandatory in POSIX.1 does not preclude it being optional
in the POSIX.13 profiles for embedded and realtime systems. The coupling
between the two is loose to allow the POSIX.13 profiles leeway, there
are rules for subprofiling POSIX.1 (normative) and some sample function
groupings (informative) to assist with profiling.

A pdf presentation including an overview of the POSIX.13 profiles is at
https://www.opengroup.org/platform/single_unix_specification/protected/doc.tpl?gdid=5991

regards
Andrew