[lsb-discuss] Questions on standardizing "IJS"

Fujinaka, Todd todd.fujinaka at intel.com
Thu Aug 3 14:11:12 PDT 2006

Well, the problem here is how to incorporate it into the LSB. From what
I understand (and my understanding is a moving target) that we're trying
to standardize APIs and we need both documentation on the API and tests
to make sure the API is included in the distro.

How do I test a wire protocol? I need one end or the other of IJS
implemented in the OS or I'll end up writing both ends and just proving
to myself that pipes work, right? I think I need some sort of
implementation.

The work I've done is usually to standardize a library. Now IJS happens
to be a protocol, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how
I'd insure it's included in the LSB without having something around like
ghostscript.

Till said, "Standardizing on GhostScript and foomatic-rip in LSB 3.2 is
no problem, as they are part of all major distros," but it is a problem
because ghostscript and foomatic-rip aren't APIs, really. And
ghostscript is huge and I'm not going to try to define its behavior. I
just want to make sure that I can write an IJS server that's accessed by
ghostscript.

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

GhostScript.

>glen

Fujinaka,