[lsb-discuss] [Printing-architecture] Agreement on directory structure for printing

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Aug 14 10:18:08 PDT 2006

>I think we should agree on the version described below (including
>lib64). The version with lib64 allows to provide both 32-bit and 64-bit
>dynamic libraries for the case that the driver is interfaced by dynamic
>library linking (as OpenPrinting vector without IPC). In a version
>without lib64 every program dynamicxally linking drivers would need to
>be of either 32-bit or 64-bit, not one of 32-bit and another of 64-bit,
>as we can provide only one bit-width of the library. For executables
>like IJS drivers or CUPS drivers it is enough to put them always in
>../lib/.., as they do not need to be the same bit-width as the caller,
>therefore only 64-bit libraries go into ../lib64/..

you're getting into tricky space here, is all I can say.
Some 64-bit distros are 32-bit plus 64-bit runtime support,
while others are 64-bit plus 32-bit runtime support.
I'm not sure there's a universal answer for either
LSB architecture, either - e.g. I think some ppc64's
are one way, some the other.