[lsb-discuss] Printer/driver testing and certification

Doug Beattie dbb at beatties.us
Sat Aug 19 10:46:26 PDT 2006

Dan, what do you mean with "All LSB Certified printers work on all LSB
Certified distros"?

Last I remember the LSB was not about hardware, but software. The key
word Rajesh used was "drivers". This is not hardware. Also, unless
things have changed drastically since some of us became less involved
the LSB did not get involved at the "kernel/driver" level either.
Perhaps the wording should talk more about the higher level
communications between ISV apps and the print services the distros
provide being LSB certified. Agreeing on and standardizing this area
would be more in line with the original concepts on which the LSB was
founded.

It would be nice to get printer makers onboard, but that is not really
related specifically to the LSB standards.

Doug