[lsb-discuss] [Printing-summit] Printer/driver testing and certification

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 06:13:31 PDT 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Aug 18 17:55 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
>> we should have a common, distribution-independent printer testing
>
> To test all PPDs which we provide in Suse Linux, I use a
> quick and dirty hacked script (still for CUPS 1.1.x):
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/jsmeix/documentation/makePPDtest

This is exactly what I thought about. It checks whether there are the
drivers for all PPDs and whether one can set up and use the print queues
with them. It is for the developers of the distro and also for external
testers to see whether a distro is consistent in terms of printer
drivers and printers listed as supported by the distro's printer setup tool.

Further testing only can be done with the actual printer and no distro
vendor has all existing printers which were ever available on the
market. Therefore it would be great if manufacturers could do the actual
printing testing.

   Till