[lsb-discuss] [Printing-summit] Printer/driver testing andcertification

Dan Kohn dan at dankohn.com
Mon Aug 21 06:39:44 PDT 2006

Jens, thanks for your thoughts.  In short, the LSB Certification
process consists of self-testing, combined with as comprehensive a
test suite as we can build.  The results of the test suite are
uploaded to the LSB.  We're not looking to test the printers (or
apps, or distros) ourselves.

For printing, the test suite could be as simple as a fancy Postscript
file, with lots of fonts, graphics, odd Postscript features, etc.
The bigger focus, though, would be on agreeing what is a reasonable
minimum set of PPDs to ship with a certified distro, and then
building the infrastructure for a semi-automated download of the PPDs
for printers that are not included.  That is, a printer could be LSB
Certified if it either 1) plugged in and just worked on a certified
distro or 2) plugged in and after confirming that it was OK to
download and install a PPD from linuxprinting.org, just worked.

The model here is that Certified for Windows print drivers can be
automatically downloaded from Microsoft as part of the printer driver
install process (although, for various reasons, this rarely works as
well as it should).

I don't think I'm suggesting anything radically new here, other than
a commitment by FSG management to work with the printing vendors and
distros to get them engaged in a printer certification process.  It
will be up to Till and the printing workgroup to define exactly what
the test suites will entail.

            - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan at dankohn.com>