[lsb-discuss] [Printing-summit] Printer/driver testing andcertification

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Wed Aug 23 18:33:18 PDT 2006

Till Kamppeter writes...

> My thought was that LSB is standardizing what the distros are
> delivering.

The LSB standardizes the _interfaces_ that the distros are delivering, but
not the _implementations_.

 Every distro currently ships foomatic-rip. foomatic-rip is
> also useful for PostScript printers, as it allows to use PPDs also in
> non-CUPS environments. LSB does not only contain things which are needed
> by EVERY user, but many things which are used by MANY users.

The LSB standardizes things that are needed by _applications_ and not
_users_. It is a development standard, not a user standard, it is for
portability of applications not users (or sysadmins).

We've talked in the past about if there is a need for a user standard.
Portability of users and sysadmins would be nice, and it might help for
user and admin training and certification (like what LPI does). But that
would need to be a different standard.

So this printing stuff that you are working on, are you standardizing
application interfaces or user interfaces? If the former then it can maybe
go in the LSB, if the latter it will need to be a different standard.

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard