[lsb-discuss] Who maintains RPM?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 24 15:20:10 PDT 2006

Ar Iau, 2006-08-24 am 13:28 -0600, ysgrifennodd Darren Davis:
> Hello,
>
> I found this posted on another mail list, but thought it would be very
> relevant here.

I think its irrelevant but let me explain why.

The LSB doesn't say "use rpm". Early on the LSB took a decision not to
blindly specify "xyz version of this library" but to do the job the hard
and right way, to specify interfaces and behaviour. It cost time, and
indeed one major player quit because of it, but it got us what we needed
and provided the basis to go to ISO even.

The LSB thus cares about a file format. RPM (or RPMs as there are
several now) plus alien and other tools deal in the file format. It is
quite possible for someone to write a new replacement that was so cool
it blew rpm away and buried it but still supported the LSB defined file
format.

>From an LSB perspective all that is going on is some discussion about
the state of a specific implementation of the standard some people
happen to use. It may fork, and in fact the LSB has made that situation
much more workable if it does.

Alan