[lsb-discuss] Adding statfs interfaces

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Dec 15 05:01:26 PST 2006

>> It appears the whole point of the requested fstatfs
>> interface is to be able to determine the file system
>> type on which a given file resides.  The problem is,
>> I'm not aware of a canonical source for the
>> identifiers. You can find them by grepping around in
>> headers in /usr/include/linux, and you find one per
>> file system type but everywhere I look I get a
>> different list - not different numbers, but a
>> different set of file system identifiers.
>
>Hm, I don't really understand what you mean here, can you give
>an example?

I don't find any of these defines in sys/statfs.h.

Instead I find EXT3_SUPER_MAGIC in linux/ext3fs.h,
MINIX_SUPER_MAGIC in linux/minix_fs.h, RESIERFS_SUPER_MAGIC
in linux/reiserfs.h, etc.  The only direct association
of the defines with statfs I find is in the manpage,
where some human did the correlation.

So I guess I'm ending up wondering if the spec should
define these at all.

>> So in an effort to keep things simple, is
>> there a need for identifying specific filesystems
>> /other than/ NFS?
>
>Yes, for example all the windows filesystems, which don't support
>all of the features a real linux filesystem supports.

Okay, that's a reasonable point.