[lsb-discuss] Adding statfs interfaces

Theodore Tso tytso at mit.edu
Fri Dec 15 14:11:46 PST 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 01:54:20PM -0800, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> It appears the whole point of the requested fstatfs
> interface is to be able to determine the file system
> type on which a given file resides.

Are we sure that's why people are requesting statfs/fstatfs?  I would
have assumed it's because application progams want to know how much
free space and perhaps free inodes are available in a particular
filesystem.  Most application shouldn't need to know the underlying
filesystem type of a particular file or directory --- but many might
want to know free space information.

						- Ted