[lsb-discuss] Adding statfs interfaces

Nick Stoughton nick at usenix.org
Fri Dec 15 14:27:25 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 17:11 -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 01:54:20PM -0800, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> >
> > It appears the whole point of the requested fstatfs
> > interface is to be able to determine the file system
> > type on which a given file resides.
>
> Are we sure that's why people are requesting statfs/fstatfs?  I would
> have assumed it's because application progams want to know how much
> free space and perhaps free inodes are available in a particular
> filesystem.  Most application shouldn't need to know the underlying
> filesystem type of a particular file or directory --- but many might
> want to know free space information.

They can get that through the statvfs/fstatvfs interfaces, which are in
POSIX and LSB. The only thing not present in the struct statvfs that is
in statfs is the files system type.

--
Nick Stoughton                          Cell: 510 388 1413
USENIX Standards Liaison                Fax:  510 548 5738