[lsb-discuss] Installation directories

Donya Shirzad dshirzad at real.com
Fri Dec 15 22:49:37 PST 2006

Hi all -

We are beginning our work on LSB compliance and have questions, of
course.   I'll start with our confusion on the required installation
directories and file naming.    Hopefully this is the place to ask
them.

1)  The RealPlayer is used as both a standalone application and as a
library for other player apps using it's core and adding their own UI
(see Banshee, Totem, etc.)  When the user upgrades their RealPlayer,
does the LSB specify how we should avoid breaking the apps that rely
on the previously installed version? Should we be naming each install
with version numbers like a library?  ex:
..../RealPlayer10.0.8/realplay10.0.8 ?

2)  The FHS seems to require different installation directories based
on two things:  (binary installer vs. rpm or deb package), and
(user-installed vs. distro-included).  This is a tangled mess for us.
  - We release both a binary installer and a package on our website
where users can download and install the product themselves.  I'm
guessing the binary goes into /opt/real/RealPlayer, but the package
goes to /usr/local/real/RealPlayer?
  - We also build packages specifically for our distros, but while
some of them include the RealPlayer in their base installation,
others just put the packages on their software repositories.  Would
the packages be installed into /usr/real/RealPlayer in both cases? Or
/usr/local?  /opt?

3)  Are we allowed to create links from the binary in any of these
directories back to the standard path directories?  It seemed that
Section 4 of the lsb book said no.
http://lsbbook.gforge.freestandards.org/pack-ex.html.

Thanks,
- Donya